Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

My own dilemma... (sob story alert!)

Okay.  I have several issues with our current standing educational system.  I'll try to keep this simple and straightforward.  Understand that these are my own thoughts and musings based on my experiences.  I realize that every single one of you reading this has different experiences and, therefore, differing opinions.  I welcome feedback of all sorts, even contradictory to my thoughts, because I am continuously seeking more knowledge, understanding, and information.

So, I am (admittedly) one of those people that has a tendency to think I am better than everyone else.  ;)  No, really.  The problem is that I was always considered one of the smart ones.  This is a major problem because, since things always came relatively easy to me, I didn't bother to put in much work.
After all, why bust my hiney for an A on an assignment, when I find out that others in my class were writing papers four to five years behind me and getting high Bs or even low As!?  Once I learned what "the curve" was...well.  It served no purpose to work so hard when I was still going to get an A.  That was more than 10 years ago.  Notice, I am still an undergraduate.  A very close friend put it gently when he said I was the dumbest smart person he'd ever met.

I am over-qualified for most entry level jobs; even middle management jobs.  I have opened and operated my own successful business for almost ten years.  I studied and handled all the legal, financial, tax, inventory, sales, marketing, web site development, etc.  Everything.  And I can't get a job.  Most jobs require a bachelor's degree.  Hmmm...my decade plus of experience won't get me a job because I don't have that degree...  I am not a happy camper.

Here's the problem I have with our current system: (c'mon, we've all heard this before) do not confuse education with intelligence.  I am not saying that education doesn't pay or that it isn't worth it.  By no means!  I am a huge supporter and fan of education.  What I am NOT a fan of is having doors of opportunity bolted shut in front of me because of a piece of paper.  I know, I know...we've all heard this before, too, right?  True.  I understand when there are hundreds of thousands of prospective employees, the employers need to do what they can to stem the tide of applications.  There needs to be some way for them to weed through all the applicants and the simplest way to do that is to establish minimum requirements.  That goes without saying.  I know how the game works.  I know how the system is set up.  I understand it completely.  I would do the same thing if I were handling applications for huge corporations.  I didn't play the game correctly.  Now I am on the wrong side of the fence, so to speak.  Well.  Sort of.

I love learning.  I am absolutely loving being back in school.  And, quite frankly, I appreciate it a heck of a lot more than I did right out of high school.  I am super thankful for the opportunity to be back.  Coming back into the fold after more than a decade out has made it so much easier to learn.  I now have a much better understanding of how to learn.  It is so much more enjoyable to be in school when I'm not so worried about memorizing things, but am more focused on the process of learning itself.


5 comments:

  1. Ummm...I feel like I should add that I do now care greatly about my own performance! :) I finally figured out it wasn't about the grades or scores or whatever other rewards are used. I now know the value is much greater and I love it! :) So...I am working continuously every day to NOT think I am so much better than anyone else. ;) I am not. We all have our own backstories and reasons for what we do. Who am I to judge? No one.

    On the note of grading, for my fellow classmates who are also working on this blogging project, my sincere apologies for the delays in my own postings. :( I did, however, just discover the wonderful world of SCHEDULED posting! How cool is that!? So, since I am on a writing spree at this particular moment, I have already composed and scheduled the next couple posts to be more timely for all involved.

    Okay. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. It touched on a quite a few points which I completely agree with. I am also one who has always blazed through assignments and homework while everyone else is struggling. It's not even that I particularly understand things better, because get me into a one on one conversation and I will get caught up on words and misunderstand things like nobody's business.

    This relative lack of ease will eventually bite us in the ass though. It often does for me, because I don't have the same self-motivation as I used to because I assume that things can be completed quickly for full credit, or that my work will just fall together. This doesn't mix well with sporadic bursts of random perfectionism...

    Glad to hear you have found the scheduled posting! Should make things a little better spaced out. I may just look into that myself. I very much look forward to seeing more of your writing, as you have indeed interested me with your posts thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen............ It is great to be back in school it is so much better this time around I'm actually enjoying learning and making better decisions. I really like your post and will reading more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are completely right about employers preferring to hire people who have a bachelors degree versus someone who has more experience. It also goes the opposite way though. I know people in the IT industry that have tons of education in their background including a degree but lack the experience and as a result a lot of them find it very difficult to find a job. You seem very highly motivated though and you should be proud of what you are accomplishing all while raising a child on your own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's actually that employers prefer to hire people with degrees, though. I think it actually began just as a way to weed through the applications as more and more people flooded the workforce. I can understand that. Completely logical to me. Unfortunately for me, though, it landed me on the wrong side of the fence. I have had other doors open to me because of my experiences and I've actually been able to enjoy much more flexibility in my life because I am usually self-employed. I've had to learn (and I love this part) tons of tax law (personal and corporate), accounting and bookkeeping, inventory management, all the legal stuff, marketing, psychology, website development, etc. I wouldn't trade it for anything. So, on the one hand, I love my versatility and flexibility. On the other, going back into the workforce and getting a j-o-b just seems so mundane. I can either find a relatively (for my experience) low paying job and make someone else a ton of money or flip the pay proportions and work less hours with ultimate flexibility. There are, of course, many other pros and cons to both sides. Trust me, I've examined both sides very closely. Ultimately....I like that I am not dependent on anyone. I can survive. I can take care of myself. You're right. I am proud of that. :)

      Delete